Friday, June 25, 2010

Toy Story 3 and Lessons of Life

I LOVED this movie!!

It always amazes me how touching Disney movies can be. They always have such great messages. Toy Story 3 was no different. I have loved the other 2 Toy Stories but this one even tops those. It is creative and funny and sentimental. And it portrayed so many things that I am feeling at this point in my life.

Both of our boys have always reminded us of Disney characters, especially when they were younger. Josh was Eeyore- very laid back and hard to ruffle, and Jake was Tigger- hyper and very energetic, he seemed to "bounce" wherever he went just like Tigger. Josh also always reminded us of Woody - loyal and caring, yet still laid back. And Jake is more like Buzz Lightyear - straight to action. Watching this movie reminded me of this all over again. As they showed old pictures of the other Toy Story movies when Andy was little, it made me wish that I had documented my children's younger years better. It continues to amaze me how memories you think you will never forget, seem to fade away so quickly. Things I loved so much that I thought I would never let go, now exist only in my heart. Now, much of my child-rearing years (at least small children) are behind me and I am my kids maturing and preparing to leave home. I think that is why I especially related to this movie because Andy is heading off to college. It is a message about letting go and moving on. And anyone that knows me, knows I do NOT like change! I struggle with it greatly. Part of it is my sentimental and sensitive personality but the other part is - I like my comfort zone. In this movie, I felt like the toys. I feel like my whole life is about my children. They are my highlight, my purpose in life and the result and reward of all my hard work. This is the way I like it. So I, like Andy's toys, have a very difficult time letting go. But once again, Disney has taught me a lesson. Letting go doesn't have to mean the end. It can actually be a whole new beginning, for everyone. Ultimately- Andy truly loved his toys, enough to let them go. Although they were all willing to sit in his attic for him to treasure occasionally, he allowed them to go so that someone else could experience his joy and his toys could be happy and have purpose. I am looking for the strength to do just that. As Josh can attest, I am not very good at it yet. I hope to get better at it or it will be a painful process for both me and my kids. But I am trying. My favorite part of the movie is when Andy's Mom gets emotional and tells him that she wishes she could always be with him. Andy answers simply, "You will be, Mom."

This is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment