Monday, June 7, 2010

Talents

I am so thankful that my kids have such wonderful talents! I think it is so important to cultivate those things that we love to do and are good at. It shows Heavenly Father how much we appreciate all that He has given us. It also helps people get to know us better and it helps us to share a bit of ourselves with them. I especially love how talents make us each individuals. There is no one that is exactly like any of us. We are unique and special and one-of-a-kind and our talents help us express who we are.

This week, Maddy has had several wonderful opportunities to share her talents with not only her family, but alot of people. I am so proud of her willingness and courage to do this! It is so fun to watch her foster friendships and share her "true loves" with other people. I can see it bring her closer to others and more confident in herself. Who wouldn't want that for their child, right?
This is Maddy and her friend, Kennedy Stettler. For their class talent show, they decided to perform 2 different numbers - 1 hula hoop routine and 1 dance, that they made up themselves. I was so proud of them! I think that would be so scary to get up in front of your whole class and dance, but they did it!
And they did it with smiles on their faces. As you can see, Maddy caught a serious case of the giggles. It was so fun to see them express themselves in such creative, wholesome ways and to know that they were enjoying every minute. Their enthusiasm and smiles were definitely contagious. Way to go girlies!
Next, on June 5, Maddy had another chance to share a different talent. I love the end of the school year that affords us so many opportunities to see first-hand what our children have been learning and working on all year. This time it was Maddy's piano recital and she did such a beautiful job!

It was held in the Auditiorium of the the Layton City Library on Saturday at 4PM.

Maddy always performs so gracefully and doesn't even seem to be nervous. Today had not been a great day but you would never know by hearing Maddy play. She throws herself into the music and all of her hard work takes over and pays off. She played 2 numbers this year. Her first was "Part of Your World" from Little Mermaid. Much to her brothers' dismay, Maddy memorized this piece early on and has been rehearsing it for well over a month - over and over again. I love hearing it but the boys didn't appreciate it as much as I did. Her second number was "Habanera," accompanied by Debbie Dee (her teacher) on the Violin. Wow! It sounded awesome! I just can't believe how far Maddy has come in 3 years and the violin just put the exclamation point on her performance. I was so proud of her!
Here, Maddy is receiving a special award for being the "Most Natural Accompaniest." That is quite an honor considering that she only spotlights about 5 students each year.
And this is Maddy's piano teacher, Debbie Dee, performing an amazing piece. She always plays in the recital each year and I think it is such an opportunity for her students to see her in action. I am so grateful to have her as a teacher - she is an incredible musician, playing not only the piano but the organ, violin, cello, harp, and flute. She only charges $60/month for 1-30 min. lesson per week. I consider it a priviledge for Maddy to study under her. It was such a special day to watch my cute Maddy as she so willingly shared her talents with us. I am watching her grow so quickly in so many things and it makes my heart ache just a little. I know by experience, that this precious time will be gone in the blink of an eye. But I am enjoying every minute of it and I hope she is, too.
I am so blessed to have such talented children. They are each talented in their own ways. Some of us have physical talents, some musical, some spiritual. But they are all talents. It is my prayer to be able to continue to watch my children grow in their talents, whatever they may be and whatever they would like them to be. I want to support them in their dreams and allow them to follow their heart, whereever it leads them. It is their talents and their God-given strengths that define them. I have no doubt that they will lead them somewhere wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment