Friday, June 4, 2010

Memories of a Different Grandpa

One of my reasons for starting this blog was to capture not only my current life, but also those memories that I have swelling up inside me that I have never put on paper. It was also to pay tribute to those many wonderful people that I have been blessed with throughout my life. My Grandpa Mayfield is one of those. And I can't pay tribute to Grandpa Stewart (at his recent passing) without also remembering my other Grandpa who has been gone since 1995. His birthday would be celebrated this month so it seems even more appropriate at this time.

I have so many funny things I remember about Grandpa and each one brings a smile to my face. He just had a way of doing that. He always had a story to tell...loudly. And he never forgot details, especially dates. He had an incredible memory. (I wish I would have inherited that!) I say loudly because the older Grandpa got, the louder he spoke. I'm sure it had to do with his hearing but it always made us grandkids laugh. Sadly, I see both Jeff and I doing that already, and we're not even old! (Well our kids think we are) Anyway, I always remember funny things that Grandpa said like "I butter both sides of my toast because my bottom teeth like butter, too." I also remember strange, random things - like that my Grandpa liked peas with warm milk. How strange is that?? Even at my age, I still think that one is odd.

My Grandpa was a collector. He could find a use for just about anything. Even now, 15 years after his death (almost), going through his garage is like going on a treasure hunt for my kids. It is a glimpse of the saver, keeper, fixer-upper that my Grandpa was. Although it scares me a bit now because of dust and spiders, it always brings a smile to my face to go in there because it takes me back to times I spent with him. He would keep tons of baby jars, TONS, and fill them with anything and everything. He could always find a place and purpose for anything. Looking through his stuff is like peeking into his mind. What an adventure! But I think the thing we all think of when he think of Grandpa is duct tape! He could fix anything (and I don't use the word anything lightly) with duct tape. Whether it was a broken tool or a cut finger, he'd slap on a bit of duct tape and it was good as new. It is such a fun reminder of him that we even had to highlight that on the casket at his funeral.

I have many more fun memories with my Grandpa from coming to Utah to visit him and Grandma, to them coming to visit us in Montana. My favorite thing about him is certainly his sense of humor and the way he cracked himself up. That always brought a smile to my face. But I think the thing I value most about my Grandpa Mayfield is the example he set for me of temple work. I remember hearing that Grandpa would often stay for 2 or 3 sessions in 1 day! I am so grateful for him for his testimony of that work and for all of those lives he has undoubtedly blessed. I hope I can honor his name and develop my own steady habits of temple work. It is truly an honor to carry his name. I love you, Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment