Monday, May 3, 2010

Sisters

"A sister shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams." -Author unknown


I wanted to take a moment and tribute my amazing sister. Isn't she beautiful? (This is her and I in 2006.) I was able to attend Women's Conference with her last weekend and although we did not take one picture to prove it (again), we had a great time! I swore I was going to take my camera this year and get some fun pictures but of course, I forgot. I was really excited now that I have a place to post my pictures and not have to feel guilty about them piling up, unused. Oh well, I'm sure I will have some fabulous pictures to share next year.

Going to Women's Conference together is a tradition that started 10 years ago (we think) when our Mom was still alive. Do we have any pictures of it? No! We only have the wonderful memories left in our hearts. We have often discussed how fun it would be to be able to look back and have pictures of the 3 of us together, 10 years ago. It would be fun (and sometimes scary) to see the changes - in our haircuts, our outfits, our shapes, and sizes. But I know the smiles would be the same because being together is something we loved, and still do! Stealing time away for "girl" time is such a treat. Even better is being with someone that knows everything about you and loves you anyway. It is great fun and cheap therapy. But for now, the only pictures we have are those left in our mind and the treasure of them left in our hearts. That is what really matters anyway. I can honestly say that we worried more about enjoying every moment together rather than trying to capture the perfect picture. And knowing the 3 of us, we would have never found a picture we all liked, anyway. I do, however, need to get better at telling my story - at capturing the special moments I am lucky enough to enjoy. Women's Conference would definitely be considered a highlight.

The longer I live, the more I learn that my Heavenly Father is watching out for me. What would I do without this sister of mine? Even more since Mom has passed away, I can't imagine not having a sister. (But don't think it has always been bliss. We used to hate each other, really. We left scars...actual scars. It's amazing what a little distance (moving out of the house) and maturity will do for you.) My sister knows my weaknesses and shares many of the same insecurities I have. She is just like me in that she is a perfectionist. She always wants to do better and be better. But I think she is great just the way she is. She is a wonderful mom, a great cook, and has such an amazing spirit! I wish she could see all of her strengths. She always says that she wasn't blessed with talents but everything about her is talent - the way she listens, the compassion she has, and the way she puts people at ease. She has a great way of being honest without being fake. But my favorite part about her is her smile. She has beautiful eyes and when she smiles, they twinkle. She can truly light up a room when she is happy. Everything about my sister is genuine and I often wish I could be more like her. So to Michelle, I say thank you. Thanks for everything- for going to Women's Conference with me, going to classes, skipping classes, shopping with me (something we are both truly good at), laughing with me, listening to me, crying with me, not judging me, and most of all- for just loving me, no matter what. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment