Saturday, May 29, 2010

Once Upon a Time...

Last Friday after I had volunteered at Maddy's school, I took her and her friend, Brea to McDonald's for Happy Meals. This has been a fun tradition for Maddy and I over the last 2 years. I volunteer every other Friday (that's as often as my work schedule allows) the hour before lunch and then after, I sneak Maddy out for a Mother/Daughter "date." But lately, I have realized a disturbing pattern that has been happening right before my very eyes. Maddy is no longer interested in the Happy Meal "toys" anymore!!! She is still a small enough eater that the portion size is perfect. But instead of the the toy being the actual reason for getting the Happy Meal, it is now a nuisance.

When did this happen?

When did my daughter go from being my little girl to being a "tween?"

Further proof is that even though she will still sit down and occasionally watch a good Princess movie with me, she is rarely the one asking to watch it anymore. How sad this makes me! I thought we would always watch fairytales and happy endings together. Instead, she wants to watch TV shows like Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place. I didn't realize this stage would end so seemingly quick and abrupt. I didn't realize my little girl would grow up! So to all you mothers out there that still have their little ones little, treasure them! Snatch them up and hug them and kiss their cheeks as much as possible. If I could start over, I would definitely have more tea parties and play more "dress up" because it is gone in the blink of an eye and the "clock strikes midnight" on their "babyhood." So I am once again learning another lesson of Motherhood. So sadly, with Maddy being my youngest, my "Once Upon A Time" is almost once upon a time. But no worries, I know we have plenty of adventures left and we can still have our "Happily Ever After."

No comments:

Post a Comment