Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve and a Nativity Pageant

It has become a tradition that every year, we head to Tremonton on Christmas Eve to spend it with Jeff's extended family. Since we have been married, it has been tradition to have tacos for dinner on Christmas Eve. In more recent years, we have started re-enacting the nativity scene and singing "The Nativity Song" from Primary. It's fun to see the the kids graduate from Baby Jesus to Mary or shepherds or wisemen. This year, we had no baby to play Baby Jesus so Morgan (@ 21 yrs. old) played Jesus this year. Especially fun to see, are the costumes that Grandma has rounded up throughout the year. New this year is Jake's lovely gown (check that out!) and Gwen and Thea's angel dresses, which actually used to be worn by Teri and Tina.

I think this picture captures the whole gang?? As you can see, my boys think it is funny to pull a serious face in EVERY picture. Although I'm sure the parts they are playing are obvious (ha ha):
Josh (with the mop on his head) was Samuel the Lamanite
Jake was a wiseman
Maddy was Mary
After the mayhem of all of that, we exchange gifts. Grandpa even wears a Santa hat as he and grandma pass out their gifts to the grandchildren. We can't leave without opening our new "jammies." That has been a tradition from my family since I was little. (Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of my kids in their PJ's this year! I usually do that every Christmas morning in front of the tree. I'm so mad at myself!!) I love Christmas Eve and especially the ride home where I can picture in my mind that night in Bethlehem so long ago. I am so grateful for that and often wonder what it would have been like to be a witness to that miracle.
But I must say that my very favorite part of Christmas Eve is in the wee hours of the morning after everyone is asleep and it is just me and light Christmas music playing by the glow of the Christmas tree. Even though I am completely exhausted by this time in the season, I love this! This is such a peaceful time of reflection for me as I think of my children, our family, the year we have had, and the wonderful blessings we have in our life. For those few moments, everything seems alright in the world, knowing that my children our all snuggled in their beds (well, Josh's bed) safely. It's a time that I realize how truly blessed I am! No matter what my trials are at that point.
It makes me want to do more, be more, love more...
I think that is what the Christmas spirit is truly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment