Saturday, July 3, 2010

Party in the USA

We finally figured out our plans for the 4th of July weekend. I was starting to worry that we would end up doing nothing but it acutally ended up being a fabulous holiday.

On Friday, we decided to go up to Logan early for the Cache Valley Cruise-In on Saturday. That way, we could watch the fireworks with Jeff's sister, Tina, and her family and his Aunt Jane and Uncle Ray. We had seen them in awhile so it sounded fun. We originally planned to stay in a hotel to add a little adventure but Tina and Jane said we could just stay with them. So Jeff and I and Maddy stayed at Tina's and the boys stayed at Jane's.

We stopped at one of our favorite restaurants, Maddox, on the way up there. They have the best buffalo burgers anywhere. This is a place that Jeff has been going to since he was a little boy so it is fun to now share this memory with our kids. Plus, strawberry pie is in season and it is so delicious there that I can't pass it up.

Then we headed to meet the fam. We had a great time at the fireworks. It brought back alot of good memories for me of when we lived in Cache Valley and the times when we were dating and first married. Logan will always have a special place in my heart. And it's always nice to "party" with Jane. She adds fun to every event and always comes prepared with lots of treats.

As I sat an listened to the music playing with the fireworks, I felt such gratitude for the freedoms I enjoy. We are so spoiled in this country and we don't even realize it. I always feel nostalgic on the 4th of July and have feel such a welling up of emotion when I hear any patriotic songs or presentations. Although I have never been asked to sacrifice myself or any of my family members for service to our country, I am so thankful for those that have and the things they have given up for me. I truly mean that! I hope my children think of those families who go without their family members either temporarily or permanently, to protect our country and the freedoms it affords us. I also thought how grateful I am for holidays and time with family. It's amazing how beneficial just a short reprieve from the daily stresses can help rejuvenate my spirit. I love this holiday and especially the quiet time of watching fireworks where I can have a few moments to ponder on these blessings I have been given.

After the fireworks, we headed back to Tina's and visited until the wee hours of the morning...literally. I don't think we went to bed until almost 3 AM so when the alarm went off to wake us up at 7, I wasn't happy! But Jeff wanted to get his car registered by 8, so chop chop. :)

The kids still wanted to go to our local parade and since it would be a long, hot day just sitting at the car show, we decided to head back to the parade. Also, Josh had to work later so this took care of everyone. Plus it gave me a little time with my family. We met Dad & Shay and my brother, Jeremy, and his kids at the parade. It was not near as hot as it has been in years past so that made it nice. We even made time to go to lunch with my fam after the parade. We chose the restaurant that Josh used to work at which happens to be one of the only local restaurants other than fast food. It had chips & salsa and good Diet Coke, so I was a happy girl. After that, we headed back to meet Jeff at the car show and check out all the classic cars. It was fun because Jeff's car was one of the chosen few for an award. Pretty impressive! I think it meant alot to him.

We ended the evening with a stop at another favorite restaurant that we used to frequent back in our college days. I just had to have a Ham & Cheese Salad from Fredrico's. Although we missed getting back to the Clearfield fireworks with my family and Josh, it was an almost perfect ending to a great weekend. We even got "bonus" fireworks on July 5 in Layton. They were awesome! It was nice having the fireworks stretched out over several nights due to the Sunday holiday. We got to enjoy some of our favorites from the northern part of our state, spend time with both families, and celebrate our freedom. It really was a "party."

No comments:

Post a Comment