Sunday, February 21, 2010

40! And beyond

Believe it or not, I am finally starting a blog! Turning 40 this year has made me realize how short life really is. I heard a great quote that I absolutely love - "The days are long but the years are short." Where does the time go? I still felt like a relatively young Mom when I realized I am officially in middle-age!! My oldest son is away from home, serving a mission. My second is over half way through Junior High and my "baby" is soon to hit double digits. These 3 facts alone mean the days of my "youth" are long gone. But I think it is when my husband and I started "borrowing" other people's children to hold at church, that I realized that I am in a whole new phase. When you are the age that you remember your parents being, it is time to become who you really want to be. Don't get me wrong, I have loved every minute to this point. I have treasured each stage that my children have passed through. My only regret is that I have not documented the memories as well as I should have. When you are living through it, you think you will never forget who said or did what. But the years make the memories fade. I don't want to let that happen. I want to remember every wonderful step they take so that I can hold on to it and cherish it long after they are grown. I've always told myself that when I had more time, I would do this with my kids, or I would go there, or be that. I have come to realize the time is now. There are so many memories that I wish I would have captured, so many good intentions that went by the wayside, so many things I wish I would have done differently. But life is a journey and I am still learning as I go along. So I invite you along for the ride. Although I wish I would have had this blogging tool when my children were younger, there is no time like the present. Although I missed documenting their first steps, their funny comments, and all the tiny miracles in between, it is my hope that I can capture the magic of every day moments from this point forward. Although I feel like I their childhoods were gone in the blink of an eye, I don't want to miss one more minute of documenting what wonderful spirits are unfolding right before my eyes! To those of you just starting out I would say enjoy each moment, no matter how tiring. The diapers, spitting up, runny noses, lack of sleep and even fighing with brothers and sisters, lasts only a moment. You will never regret the time spent with these little angels. Even your hardest challenges will become wonderful memories. To those of you like me, who long to turn the clock back- make the most of your time now. Become who you have always wanted to be. And remember, that true happiness comes in the journey, not the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment