Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memories of Grandpa

Since it is Memorial Day (yesterday), we thought some lovely frest flowers would perk up the cemetery. So as you can see, Jake cut us some beautiful iris' and lilacs. This is the look I get from him lately when asking him to pose for a picture. (He's just teasing, of course) Luckily, Maddy is still willing to give me a smile. This is me and Maddy at my Mom's grave. Not the place I would like to spend the day with her for sure but I always want her to remember her Grandma and the amazing person that she was.

Sadly, this year (November 2009), we added one more person to visit at the cemetery each year- my Grandpa. He was my Mom's Dad and lived to be 88 years old. I ended up having to speak at his funeral. My sister, being the oldest granddaughter, was supposed to represent the grandchildren but Colton was taken to the Emergency Room with a seizure just a few hours before the funeral. The funeral and spending time with my Mom's family, stirred up alot of feelings for me. I can't think about my Grandpa without thinking about my Mom. But I was happy to pay tribute to him and remember all his good traits.
You couldn't think of Grandpa without picturing him in his cowboy hat. That was one of his most prized possessions. I also love to remember their dairy farm in West Kaysville. That was so fun for me as a little girl to go on vacation to the "farm." I loved going to the milk barn and watching Grandpa milk the cows. But my very most favorite thing was to get to ride their beautiful black horse Smokey. I loved that horse!
2 other funny (well not really funny) stories I remember about visiting the farm was one time when I was riding Smokey, he got too close to a tree that had big branches that spread out over the driveway. Unfortunately, I didn't duck fast enough to avoid my eye getting cut by one of those branches. The other traumatic event I experienced was on an exercise bed of Grandma's. It was some sort of contraption that pulled your stomach in, while laying down, and then spread your body out. (Bad description I know but I have no idea what that thing was.) Somehow, my wrist got caught between one of the springs and pinched/cut the skin. It bled and bruised horribly and has left me with a small scar. Funny the things that kids remember, huh?
I also loved to visit Grandma and Grandpa at the ranch in Montana. There was nothing like it on a summer night. It was amazing to see all the stars! Unfortunately, when you live in the "city", you can't fully enjoy this because the city lights hide alot. But out in the country, when it is pitch dark, the sky lights up with millions of stars. I loved that!! I also remember going to the ranch when Josh was a newborn baby. Jeff was in school so I went with my parents to get out of town for a couple of days. Grandpa brought me out to see some new baby lambs they had. I have a picture of my Mom, baby Josh, and these baby lambs. It is such a treasure to me now! Grandpa always loved to show off his ranch and animals to anyone that was interested. He especially loved anyone to ride around the ranch in his truck with him so that he could tell his stores. Probably my favorite story from the ranch in Montana is Grandpa taking us sledding on tubes behind his truck once. I remember that Lisa and Wende were there and it was such a blast! Going to visit Grandma and Grandpa was truly going "over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go." I have such fond memories of both farms and consider myself a bit of a country girl because I was lucky enough to be a part of it.
But my most favorite memory of my Grandpa, I think, was at my Mother's viewing. He and I had a chance to sit alone for a few, quiet moments and watch the video tribute to my Mom. During a part that showed pictures of my Mom with her brother, Jack, who has also passed away, I looked over and saw tears streaming down my Grandpa's face. I knew at that moment, without a doubt, that he loved my Mother. He squeezed my hand and said, "I miss her, Neecy." What a blessing for me that moment was. I will cherish it in my heart always. I know that life can bring misfortunes and regrets. But it can also bring love and memories. I will always be thankful for those memories I have made with him. I love you, Grandpa!

May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment